BCG / Mantoux (TB) Screening
If you are at risk of contracting tuberculosis (TB), then YourGP can provide the Mantoux screening test and the BCG vaccination which gives between 70%-80% protection against the disease.
Fewer clinics now offer this service – we can offer it at short notice.
TB is a potentially lethal infection caused by a bacterium called mycobacterium tuberculosis. It primarily attacks the lungs. The BCG vaccine is given as a single dose from birth to 6 years old and after that following a ‘negative’ Mantoux test. You should consider getting tested and vaccinated if:
- You live in a high risk environment
- You have been in contact with those suffering from TB
- You are travelling to and from countries with a high level of TB
- You work in the health care professions
- We will inform your NHS practice of any vaccination given by us
If you represent a company, we can advise you on the best approach to employee vaccinations.
How It Works
When you come in for your treatment we will discuss the test and vaccination with you and make you as comfortable and calm as possible.
- If your child is aged birth to 6 years they automatically get the BCG vaccine without the Mantoux
- Six years plus one day onwards will first have the Mantoux test. This involves a single injection into the forearm. You may experience mild itching or swelling
- You will have to return exactly two days later for us to ‘read’ the reaction
- If your Mantoux test is negative, you will be given your BCG vaccination
- A small red spot will usually develop within a few weeks of the vaccination; this will heal to form a small scar
- If your Mantoux test comes back positive you will require a chest X-ray, which we can organise with the Edinburgh Clinic or at the Spire Murrayfield private hospital
Mantoux test: £100 (no consultation fee)
BCG: £100 (no consultation fee)
Chest X-ray: £45 referral fee and £95 for the X-ray and result report
(When you book your appointment we will ask for a £50 deposit to secure the appointment. The £50 will be deducted from the cost of your consultation.)
“My visit was outstanding. Positive in every way. Thanks for the wonderful care.”View more testimonials