It’s a no-brainer that a happy workplace is in everyone’s best interests, and ensuring employees feel valued is key to achieving that happiness. For business owners, a team that feels appreciated is more likely to perform better, sickness levels are more likely to be lower, and staff-retention higher. And for employees, that greater sense of job satisfaction can have a positive effect on their overall mental health and wellbeing. So what are the best ways of ensuring your employees feel valued? Read on for our top 10 tips, brought to you by the Occupational Healthcare professionals at YourGP.
- Communicate clearly: Be transparent about what’s happening in the business and employees will feel involved and trusted.
- Give feedback: Whether it’s praise for positive work or constructive guidance where there is room for improvement, feedback should be given on a regular basis.
- Hand over responsibilities: Giving employees the opportunity to take ownership of particular tasks or projects can be a great way of showing you believe in their capabilities.
- Be open to change: Empower your employees by asking for their opinions, give them the freedom to talk openly and honestly, and take on board their suggestions.
- Recognise a job well done: A simple thank you can mean a lot so acknowledge your employees’ hard work during one-on-ones or team meetings.
- Support their goals: It’s a good idea to find out what your employees’ long-term career goals are so you can support them on their individual journeys.
- Help them grow: From one-on-one guidance, to investing in training, helping them in their personal and professional development can help to boost their skills and their confidence.
- Celebrate their achievements: Whether it’s smashing a sales target or securing a new client, share the success by celebrating with the team.
- Prioritise their health: All employers are legally required to protect the health and wellbeing of their team and provide a safe working environment for all. Going one step further to actively improve the health of your team can have many positive effects. Some companies like to commence the working day with a yoga session, some ensure their staff rooms are always well stocked with fresh fruit, and some hold regular team meetings outside so everyone can benefit from a good dose of fresh air and vitamin D!
- Provide benefits that truly matter: Offering employees a bespoke Occupational Healthcare package is one of the best ways to show how much you value them. Providing things such as annual health MOTs can also help to ensure they remain fit and healthy, so they can give each day their best, at home and at work.
If you’d like to find out more about YourGP’s range of Occupational Healthcare services, including our bespoke Occupational Healthcare packages which can be tailored to suit your individual business needs, call 0131 225 5656 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.