Warm up with a winter chicken stew30 December, 2014
Nothing beats a homemade supper on a cold, winter evening, so why not take your mind off the weather with a warming, winter stew?
With your Christmas leftovers now devoured, we asked fully trained nutritional therapist, Anne Cross, for an alternative winter recipe.
Anne, who offers nutritional therapy at YourGP in Edinburgh, has plumped for a delicious winter chicken stew to keep you warm on these chilly winter nights.
- Prep: 15 minutes
- Cook: 45 – 50 minutes
- Servings: 8
- 1 tbsp. olive oil
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 4 garlic cloves, sliced
- 1.4l hot chicken stock
- 1 large potato, finely grated
- 1 tbsp. fresh thyme leaf
- 2 tsp fresh rosemary leaves
- 2 x 850g family packs skinless chicken thighs (count the number in the pack – you need 16 in total)
- 6 carrots, halved lengthways and cut into chunks
- 2 parsnips, halved lengthways and cut into chunks
- 3 leeks, well washed and thickly sliced
- sweet potato mash and green veg to serve
- Heat the oil in your largest pan – an extra-large wok with a lid is ideal.
- Fry the onion and garlic for a few minutes until soft, then pour in the stock and stir in the potato and herbs.
- Add the chicken and bring to the boil.
- Stir in the carrots, parsnips and leeks, then cover the pan and leave to simmer on a low heat for 40-45 minutes, stirring every now and then, until the chicken is tender.
- Serve with sweet potato mash and green veg
The final step, of course, is to share your sumptuous stew with your family and friends.
If you want to know how food can prevent a range of diseases and help optimise your overall health and wellbeing, you can book a nutritional therapy consultation.
“I was warmly greeted by staff with genuine smiles. The staff made me feel very comfortable and engaged me in conversation about several topics which made waiting pass very pleasantly. I noticed they were proactive in making each person who arrived feel welcome, including the courier.”View more testimonials
Visit us on Facebook and get the latest news and updates from the company.